.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Fruit Blog Header.jpg
APPLES - BRAMBLES - CITRUS - GRAPES - NUTS - PAWPAWS - PEARS - PERSIMMONS - STONE FRUITS - STRAWBERRIES - FORUM

Cherimoya
My cherimoya, shortly before it became smoothie fodder.

Archive of past images




AppleBorovinka


Chinquapin

Recent Cultivar Releases
Pomegranate

Current Work in Pomology

StrawbParkerEarle


QuinceBourgeat


Atom Feed

Powered by Blogger

Add to Technorati Favorites

March 16, 2006

Newton's Apple

The story of the apple, Newton's head, and their chance encounter that yielded the theory of gravity is well known. Some have questioned if it happened just that way, but though he only mentions seeing an apple fall, not having it fall on his head (this appears to have been added by Isaac D'Israeli), the tale appears to originate with Newton himself, told to his friend William Stukley in 1726. This is, of course, roughly sixty years after the event, which occurred when he was a twenty-two year old avoiding plague-ridden London at his family home, Woolsthorpe Manor.

Whether it occurred the way Newton claimed (or at all), we may never know, but Woolsthorpe Manor did (and does) have a number of apple trees. The tree which dropped this particular apple was of cultivar called 'Flower of Kent', a variety of which several remain at Woolsthorpe. The actual tree lived a long life, but is long gone today. By 1814, it was heavily decayed and collapsed, propped up along the ground. In 1820 it was badly damaged by a storm and was taken down. A local teacher sawed the tree into pieces, many of which were kept as souvenirs. One piece was presented to the Royal Astronomical Society in 1914, another appears to have been made into a pair of rulers, award to a member of the Royal Society in 1844.

'Flower of Kent', despite its name, did not likely originate in England, but rather in France. It is a cooking apple, somewhat smallish, and of an unusual pear shape. By all accounts it is mealy, subacid, and rather flavorless.

Today, the cultivar is largely forgotten, although a handful of trees remain, and many can trace their provenance directly to Newton's famous tree. After Newton's death in 1727, the new owners of Woolsthorpe Manor sent budwood to Belton Park, in Lincolnshire, and from there it was passed to the research station at East Malling. In 1944, grafts from the trees at East Malling were planted at the home of William Penn in Morrisville, Pennsylvania, and it is these trees which are the sources of most, if not all, of the 'Flower of Kent' trees in the U.S. (Antique Apple Orchard in Oregon is the only commercial operation I know of with it). The same source in East Malling are the origin of the first 'Flower of Kent' in Canada, recently planted in York University. (Siloam Orchards, who propagated it for the university, appears to have it too.)

(By the way, yes, I'm still alive...just really busy trying to get as much research done as possible before daughter #2 arrives on the scene. And, along with my daughter, enjoying a nice round of strep throat right at the moment. Just saw this and thought I'd post it, though).

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 3/17/2006 09:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Advance congrats to you & C. on daughter #2!

 
At 3/24/2006 10:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see a post, and more advance congratulations here!

It never even dawned on me till now, but is the Yellow Newton Pippin related to Flower of Kent? Or just a coincidence that 'Newton' is in the name?

I have a YNP, grafted on to one of several rootstocks I planted a few years ago. No fruit yet. Maybe this year?

 
At 3/24/2006 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Evil Fruit Lord said...

Thanks to both of you for all the congratulations... I appear to have forgotten to tell all kinds of people I know, because as soon as I posted that a bunch of people e-mailed me that I thought I'd already told (the same thing happened at Christmas time when I was visiting my parents...I just assumed the word was out, but everyone was surprised).

Anyway, no new arrivals yet, but I will keep you all posted.

On to fruit matters: Actually, it is 'Yellow Newtown Pippin', named for Newtown Creek in what is now Queens. So, nope, no connection. I see the 'Newton Pippin' version quite frequently, so I'm guessing some nursery made the mistake years ago and it's been propagated along with the trees.

The original Newtown Pippin tree has the distinction of having essentially been killed by people taking scion wood.

A little more info on it: http://www.twinleaf.org/articles/pippin.html

 
At 3/26/2006 06:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the correction, which I will now note in my records. I have seen it both ways, now that you mention it.

 
At 3/26/2006 06:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, I am even more pleased to know I am growing a variety with ties to Jefferson than I would have been if it had been tied to Newton!

As I explain at F&V (in the "Mission" statement), I am quite fascinated by the fruits that Jefferson and Madison grew, though only Jefferson kept records that survive today.

Thanks so much for the link and for setting me straight on what I am growing!

 
At 7/17/2006 04:20:00 AM, Blogger Edwin said...

Hi
I have a "Flower of Kent" on an East Malling rootstock.It's a scion of the tree at Bradbourne House EM.,which in turn is a scion from Cambs.It is currently in a flower pot,waiting to be planted.75%of the world's cultivated apple trees can be traced back to EM(so I am told)If you would like a pic of the mature EM tree I can oblige.cheers.

 
At 11/12/2011 11:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

affordable domain nameslawyer websites

It really isn't good enough to just throw your hands up and say, 'Oh dear, our supplier subcontracted, naughty naughty.' It's like Claude Rains in Casablanca saying he was shocked - SHOCKED! - to discover gambling going on.

 
At 11/16/2011 10:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

demographics by neighborhoodcheap car tyres

Step 1: Start with a quick-drying base coat (such as Butter Nail Foundation Flawless Basecoat) to smooth ridges.

 
At 11/18/2011 05:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ซันคลาร่าของแท้replica breitling

A couple of years ago, hell probably a year ago, I probably would have felt like a dummy for staying in on a Saturday night to paint and watch kitten YouTube videos. Times have changed and I cherish my time spent alone and well, after last night's epic NYE party I welcome this night of getting things taken care of wholeheartedly.

 
At 6/07/2015 09:16:00 AM, Blogger Nye Scuppertea said...

I've got 'Flower of Kent' in my garden. When I decided to make my garden into a miniature apple orchard of old varieties, I had to have this on for its historical importance. I must question your assertion that the original is long gone: it was blown down in a storm in the early 19th century, but re-rooted itself where the branches touched the ground, and still grows in Woolsthorpe Manor: I must go and see it one day, maybe this year.

 
At 12/28/2016 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

louis vuitton outlet stores
cheap oakley sunglasses
ferragamo outlet
ugg outlet
polo ralph lauren
instyler ionic styler
christian louboutin outlet
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton handbags
nike huarache
20161229lck

 
At 3/26/2017 01:34:00 AM, Blogger marko said...

It just took me around a hour to choose this was the land for me, and I called the number that was on the land available to be purchased sign to talk with the proprietor. He gave me a quote, I disclosed to him what I was hoping to pay, and we really thought of a figure in which we were both content with. www.usacheckcashingstore.com/san-diego

 
At 4/02/2017 08:46:00 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Charge cards for undergrads are promptly realistic and understudy credit obligation weighs vigorously on a man. Require an advance to get an auto may place you in the position of utilizing a cosigner. https://www.usacheckcashingstore.com/san-diego

 
At 6/08/2018 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0609
malone souliers
canada goose outlet
michael kors outlet
armani exchange
christian louboutin outlet
canada goose jackets
coach factory outlet
kate spade outlet
nike shoes
polo ralph lauren

 
At 7/02/2018 05:44:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

www0702


christian louboutin outlet
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
cheap mlb jerseys
birkenstock outlet
canada goose outlet
michael kors
ugg outlet
ray ban sunglasses









 
At 7/23/2018 03:30:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0723
marc jacobs outlet
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
nike factory outlet
nets jerseys
oakley sunglasses
jeep shoes
mac makeup
air max 97
kate spade outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home